Translate

Friday, July 6, 2012

Politics and Religion

Starting off with a bang...(must be the fireworks for the 4th still going off in my head).  There's nothing more volatile than politics and religion.  Mix them together and it's like pouring gasoline over a stack of dynamite and lighting a match.  Like many of my friends and family, I am a Facebook'er (FB).  I started using FB as a means to keep in contact with family and see photos of the grandkids since we live so far from each other.  It has evolved into a social experiment in how much dribble you can filter through your brain without losing the essence of REAL contact with REAL people; pressing the flesh, so to speak.  There is good and bad to anything one takes part in, including FB. 

With the election of the President of the United States looming very near, FB has become the modern day office watering hole...the front porch of America...the fire around which sits the elders and the youth who listen and complain about the "old ways" of the Chiefs. 

I'll admit....I'm somewhat of a conservative thinker; set in my ways and reminiscing of how things "used" to be. I recently mentioned that our church's Vacation Bible School was "different" on FB; how I missed seeing the flag procession and reciting of the pledge at the beginning of each service (it's a Baptist thing....just go with it).  I was almost immediately bombarded with a younger crowd on FB who were "offended" by my remarks telling me how effective the new way of doing things led people to know Christ, how much the kids loved it, etc. Wow!  Back up....it was just a memory that I particularly enjoyed as a kid.  And yeah...our way was effective as well.

When it comes to politics, I'm also somewhat conservative. Having spent 30-years in the US Air Force, I'm a stanch patriot who believes in the ideals of the American way of life, it's democratic form of republic that give people the freedom to live and express themselves as they wish...to a certain degree.  I'm proud to be an American and will apologize to no one for the red, white and blue that flows through my veins. 

When it comes to religion, I grew up in a Southern Baptist church.  Daddy was the preacher, and I married a Southern Baptist preacher's daughter.  It's what I know...what I understand...where my comfort zone is located.  Southern Baptists are also historically racist...originating from the smoldering heap of slavery in the south.  It's a fact, and we have to embrace the truth. This year, Southern Baptists have elected their first black American president; a first in their history that our forefathers would likely have found disgusting. A lot of grave rolling is going on.  I'm proud that we've evolved this far.

In both cases I use the term "somewhat" conservative.  There are things that Baptists (particularly, Southern Baptists) believe that I do not believe are Biblical <insert shock here>.  There are things about our way of government that I think could be better or are outdated <insert awe here>.  In both cases I believe there is room for discussion. 

Toleration and discussion for a minority viewpoint is admirable.  Political correctness (PC) for the sake of trying not to offend is pointless and violates our idea of democratic rule.  Although I value the opinions of others...whether in politics or religion...I am not PC. But I do believe that we need to learn to discuss without being violent.  We need to learn to listen without carrying a chip on our shoulders too.  Everyones opinion is valid and valued....but not everyone is right or wrong.  We do not live in a black and white society where everything is orderly and set in stone.  And sometimes...we need to be mature enough to agree to disagree and go about our business without holding a grudge. 

The "I'm right" and "You're wrong" mentality is what we see our so-called leaders playing out in Washington D.C.  It reminds me of kids in the playground fighting over the proper length of chain on a swing set. We need peacemakers more than we need sword swallowers.  I want to elect someone who represents the majority view point without dismissing the minority one.  I want someone who understands the word "compromise".  I want someone who will value MY opinion...even if it's conservative.  I want someone to value YOUR opinion...even if it's wrong. <that's what we call...humor>

Our country is much like a marriage where communication is the key to success.  Unless the different factions of our country begin to function like a solid relationship of give and take, we will find ourselves in divorce court.  In some countries they call it "nation building".  Others call it "civil war".  We've tried nation building around the world....and civil war on our own soil.  Neither one has been a fun experience; downright painful is the word. 

Politics and religion....a volatile mix for sure.


Papa Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment