Translate

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Daily Commute

Why do we spend so much of our time doing the things we do?  It seems like life is a constant series of movements designed to accomplish one goal or another. 
I spend about 1 ½ hours each day of my life, Monday through Friday, sitting in a vehicle driving either to or from my place of employment.  People call this a “commute”.  That averages 7.5-hours per week, 390-hours per year.  If I commuted 24-hours per day each day without stopping, it would take 16.25 days to fulfill each year’s commute.  That’s a lot of rubber on the road. 
During my commute, I do a variety of things.  Most of the time I listen to music.  Someone smarter than me invented a cordless telephone that also contains my preferred musical collection.  Someone else invented wireless connectivity, better known as Bluetooth technology.  Yet another person figured out a way to put that technology into my radio, and….voilà….I can now listen to my music without the irritancy of commercial interruption.  Very cool! 
I’ve also been using my very cool phone on the commute to listen to my audio Bible.  I think I’ve been able to run through 25% of scripture in about 30-days of commuting.  Amazing stuff, for sure. 
I’ve tried learning Spanish by listening to lessons during my commute, but I find that trying to enunciate español while conjugating verbs to be a bit too much for my mind to concentrate on with the lousy drivers that surround me along the way.
On occasion….I sit in silence; in thought.  I oftentimes talk to God.  I tell Him about my day, or pray for my family.  I will recognize the beauty of His creation around me.  The mountains.  The sunrise or sunset. The coyote’s running along the road.  The suicidal doves that dive bomb my car or wait until the last millisecond to try escaping from my quickly approaching mass of aluminum and steel.  It’s all good.
Sometimes I talk to my Dad.  He has been gone for far too long.  And I can still see his smiling face as he wraps his arms around me and says, “Welcome home, son”. 
Commuting….make the most of yours.
Papa Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment