Translate

Monday, July 9, 2012

Flying High

Here I sit in row 18A with approximately 200 of my new best friends, riding in an aluminum tube high above the plains of Texas, or Oklahoma enroute to one of my least favorite regions of the continental United States...the east coast. Thankfully its a smooth ride so far, otherwise my writing would look like a bag full of Scrabble letters.
I'm also thankful to have a young slender man (emphasis on slender) in the center seat next to me...with a job, pleasant personality, a sense of humor, and nice teeth. Hmmm, perhaps I'll slip my card to him and tell him all about my eligible daughters. What's the worst that could happen?  I've already experienced the worst.
I love my job. I get to work with some great people and the highlight for me are the trips to our sites around the country to spend time with the managers and employees. But I'm fully aware of the joy they must have when the "boss" comes to town, so I try to not over stay my welcome. The Air Force has taught me to be somewhat of a people person even though I'm really more comfortable alone and in a quiet place. So...I love my job.
I hate my job. I get to work with some of the most lame people on the planet. Travel can be fun, but it gets old sometimes. Airport security is a necessary evil that just plain sucks. I got yelled at by the TSA guy this morning because I thought he motioned me forward...and I did so. He spent the next 30-seconds explaining that his motion was to stop me, not to step forward. He may be a great guy, but today he was lame too. Oh, and I have a co-worker who is arrogant and self-centered. You know the type. The one who makes up for their own inadequecy by putting forth an air of superiority with everyone else. So...I hate my job.
In spite of the pros and cons of my job, I am very grateful. I am paid a reasonable salary, my bills are not in arrears, my family is provided for, and I like to think a do a good job at what I do. My mantra for work is found in Colossians 3:23, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if working for the Lord, not for men." I think that's a pretty cool business plan.
All of us have things we like or dislike about our jobs. But the Bible teaches us that in ALL things we are to be thankful. And so I am.
We are also taught to be content in whatever situation we find ourselves. And so I am.
And therefore I sit, at 35,000 feet or so in the air, riding in this giant cigar tube...away from my wife, my cats, my house, my truck, my guitar, my church, my friends, my family, my life as I know it....but I am closer to God and I am happy.  I am blessed.
May the wings in your own life take you to places you've only dreamed about in your heart.
Papa Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment